Saturday, January 17, 2015

Mistakes, lost time, ruminations on the past, coulda, woulda, shoulda, but didn't

The other day I was driving with a friend who I will refer to here as Dr.Gonzo.We were in the middle of going somewhere to do some crap for work. On our way, we passed a high school. I watched some of the kids going in as we sat at a red light and though aloud to myself and him "Damn...if I could be that age again I would have done so many things differently." There was a little silence before he responded.

"Yeah, well join the club. It's ok though. In ten and twenty years, they'll be saying the same thing."

That was a profound statement indeed. And a very true one at that. As much as I've been beating myself up lately, I am further along than I was this time last year. I finally published Nightmarescape, which was ten years in the making. That was something I should have spent a little more time relishing and enjoying, but immediately started stressing out about other projects and the next book in the series. Well I know that was probably not the best thing to do. Therefore I am calmly working on things as my day job allows.

I guess in the end, I feel like I should have moved faster and could have been somehwere else in life by now. Whatever truth or fallacy there may be to that sentiment is irrelevant. What I've got to work with is what is the now. The past is the past, the present and future are all that I can change.

Thanks Dr. Gonzo for giving me a little perspective in the midst of a shitty week. And remember kids...you"ll be wishing you did plenty of shit differently too...but that's ok...because the generation after you will say the same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment